UPC Ireland reports another Strong Performance for 2012
Fourth Quarter and Full-Year ended December 31, 2012
Ireland’s leading broadband and entertainment innovator, UPC today announced strong growth for the fourth quarter and full-year ended December 31, 2012. UPC also announced today that it has reached the one millionth subscription milestone in Ireland, marking a strong end to a year of success and innovation in Ireland. It has contributed over €500 million in investment as part of the roll-out of its new fibre powered network across Ireland and now offers 150 Mbps broadband speeds to 40% of all Irish homes.
Dana Strong, CEO of UPC Ireland: “In a fast-changing market our 2012 results demonstrate the underlying strength and appeal of UPC’s business model. Our strategy of focusing on innovative, high quality products at great value is paying off. We are appealing to households who want the best digital experience. Independent research shows our customers spend more time online, use more devices and are more satisfied than other broadband customers. Over 85% of our On Demand capable customers have used UPC On Demand TV since launch with over 14 million views of our great content to date. It’s hugely popular and we plan even more exciting developments for our customers in the current year.
“Our investments are setting new standards and driving real choice and progress for consumers. Last year we broke new ground for our customers with our new 50Mb standard entry level product and we demonstrated that our network is capable of an extraordinary 1.4Gb speed. Since 2010, UPC has reduced its price per megabyte by 70% giving customers unmatched value.
“We are also making strong progress in the business community. UPC Business ended the year as an increasingly important and growing contributor to the company. If you consider that over 90% of all businesses in Ireland are SMEs, we believe we have a real opportunity to help these businesses underpin their growth with reliable and affordable superfast digital services.”
“We had a very big and busy year in 2012. Reaching 1,000,000 subscriptions is the culmination of the great work of our 800 employees and 700 contractors.”
General overview year-on-year
- 99,300 growth in subscriptions to TV, Broadband and Phone services
- Total 988,700 service subscriptions by year-end, and this week reached over 1,000,000
- 11% year-on-year growth
- Broadband year on year
- 304,300 broadband customers
- 18% year-on-year increase in broadband subscriptions
- Phone year on year
- 238,000 phone customers
- 46% year-on-year growth in home phone subscriptions
Digital TV year on year
- 383,200 digital TV customers
- UPC 2012 Selected Highlights in Summary
- Launched UPC’s On Demand Service to great support and encouragement from customers. We have seen over 14 million views of our service in just 8 months.
- Overhauled our HD service to include 23 more channels (this was enabled by a major, first ever 5 year carriage deal with Sky)
- Re-launched the ITV channels and continued to expand with exclusive new PTV services like RTE News Now, RTE One+1, RTE Jnr & Oireachtas TV.
- Concluded content licensing agreements with Warner Brothers Home Entertainment & Twentieth Century Fox for On Demand TV – alongside Universal, Paramount, Sony Pictures and Disney
- Broke the Irish Internet speed record clocking 1.4Gb over our standard cable network, proving that our network can well and truly handle the future ‘need for speed’.
- Launched 50Mb as the new standard in Broadband speeds in Ireland with our new entry pack. And set a new highest speed available at 150Mb that no one can touch.
- Opened the first of our new Customer Experience Centres with Carphone Warehouse in Henry Street. These will showcase the entertainment benefits of our fibre-powered homes for consumers in key locations all over Ireland.
- Passed the 300,000 broadband subscriber milestone, following as a result of our successful campaign highlighting UPC’s superior broadband speeds and value for money pricing.
- Continued to grow our B2B services. We launched our SME bundles of UPC’s fibre powered broadband and telephone at ground breaking prices and this also includes a license for Microsoft Office 365. UPC also provides fibre power broadband to leading corporates and organisations throughout Ireland.
- Selected as one of the companies enabling schools with 100 Mb broadband through the Schools Broadband Scheme.
- Improved our customer engagement which is also generating very significant dividends in our customer satisfaction ratings.
Liberty Global Q4 results (Ireland figures page 18, 19) available at: