RTÉ’s Digital Success
Múirne Laffan RTÉ’s Head of Digital gave a very insightful address to Dublin Chamber’s Tech Forum recently. Most surprising of all was her comment that many advertisers on RTÉ’s digital platforms do not have mobile enabled websites. This despite the fact that a recent survey found that more than 1.6 million people in Ireland now have smartphones and are using them to access information on the internet every day. RTÉ’s own analytics show that 65% of people accessing RTÉ content every day do so from a mobile device (compared to the BBC’s 27%). It seems pretty pointless to devote advertising budgets to online advertising only for the potential customer to click through to a website which cannot be viewed on a mobile device. “Consumers get mobile, but businesses and advertisers don’t” was her over-arching message to the assembled audience.
We all know how we consume TV is changing and RTÉ has certainly adopted a very proactive approach to Digital. This year’s Rose of Tralee festival is a case in point. RTÉ created a bespoke online programme ‘Live from the Red Room’ which was shown online during the main evening news bulletin. Made for ‘a fraction of TV prices’, the programme was viewed 527,000 times across all digital platform streams and 406,000 views on You Tube. Over 400,000 views of news on demand clips were generated – helped no doubt by that proposal! Still, a very nice example of audience innovation from RTÉ.
Digitising RTÉ’s vast archive is a major project and with 230,000 hours of undigitised video content the broadcaster will be seeking partners and sponsorship to undertake this mammoth task.
Other interesting stats from Múirne’s presentation which PR, advertising and marketing people will find useful included:
- 133 million page impressions monthly across RTÉ’s digital platforms
- Digital Strategy is to create once and publish many times. RTÉ Player is available across 7 platforms.
- 54% of the RTÉ Player audience are in the 18 -24 year age group. 75% of the entire audience watch player on a laptop.
- 49% of viewers of RTÉ’s online content are from outside Ireland.
- A year ago 3% of RTÉ’s overseas audience was based in Australia. Today it is 7%!
- On You Tube, RTÉ has 95,000 subscribers to its 4 channels – 65% male; 35% female. The highest viewed video on RTÉ You Tube was the Rubberbandit’s Horse Outside with over 10 million views and 30,000 comments.
- RTÉ News Now – 1 million downloads monthly.
- 20% of downloads for RTÉ News Now are from overseas.
- The average person touches their mobile phone 140 times a day!